Autumn International Rugby Matches 2016
Following the excitement of the Rugby World Cup a year earlier, the Autumn International rugby matches returned in 2016 – and they were notable for a number of reasons:
- Ireland won a historic 40-29 victory over New Zealand in Chicago. It was Ireland's first ever victory over the All Blacks in 111 years of asking.
- Italy created their own piece of history in Florence by beating South Africa for the first time.
- Ireland's 27-24 victory over Australia meant that they became the first northern hemisphere team since 2003 to beat the southern hemisphere's big three in the same calendar year.
- South Africa endured a winless autumn series to compound an already bad year in which they lost eight matches for the first time.
- England won all four autumn internationals to end the calendar year unbeaten with 13 wins.
Among the matches contested only by Tier 1 rugby nations (i.e. Six Nations and Rugby Championship teams), there were nine matches won by northern hemisphere teams and six matches won by southern hemisphere teams.
Fans of England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales can look forward to another cracking year of rugby next year – with the Six Nations, followed by a Lions Tour of New Zealand, plus another Autumn International series all to come in 2017!
Autumn Internationals 2016 Fixtures
Click on the links below to view further details about each match. *All kick-off times in GMT.
Saturday 5th November 2016
Friday 11th November 2016
- Barbarians 40-7 Fiji at Kingspan Stadium, Belfast 7:35pm
Saturday 12th November 2016
- Italy 10-68 New Zealand at Stadio Olimpico, Rome 2:00pm
- England 37-21 South Africa at Twickenham Stadium, London 2:30pm
- Scotland 22-23 Australia at BT Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 2:30pm
- France 52-8 Samoa at Stadium Municipal, Toulouse 4:45pm
- Wales 24-20 Argentina at Principality Stadium, Cardiff 5:30pm
- Ireland 52-21 Canada at Aviva Stadium, Dublin 7:15pm
Saturday 19th November 2016
- Italy 20-18 South Africa at Stadio Artemio Franchi, Florence 2:00pm
- England 58-15 Fiji at Twickenham Stadium, London 2:30pm
- Wales 33-30 Japan at Principality Stadium, Cardiff 2:30pm
- Scotland 19-16 Argentina at BT Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 5:00pm
- Ireland 9-21 New Zealand at Aviva Stadium, Dublin 5:30pm
- France 23-25 Australia at Stade de France, Paris 8:00pm
Saturday 26th November 2016
- Italy 17-19 Tonga at Stadio Euganeo, Padova 2:00pm
- England 27-14 Argentina at Twickenham Stadium, London 2:30pm
- Scotland 43-16 Georgia at Rugby Park, Kilmarnock 2:30pm
- Ireland 27-24 Australia at Aviva Stadium, Dublin 5:30pm
- Wales 27-13 South Africa at Principality Stadium, Cardiff 5:30pm
- France 19-24 New Zealand at Stade de France, Paris 8:00pm
Saturday 3rd December 2016
- England 37-21 Australia at Twickenham Stadium, London 2:30pm